Detox teas are an awesome way to detox.
Or should I say teatox.
They give you the benefits of a juicing or liquid diet detox without all the side effects and stress put on your body.
But choosing the best detox tea in this ever-growing market..
..is easier said than done with scammy and ineffective detox teas lurking behind every corner.
To find a tea that lives up to its claims and that isn’t another regular green tea from the grocery store marketed for detox..
That can require some trial and error. Testing various brands and comparing them to each other.
As the teatox enthusiast that I am, I did just that.
And then I decided to put this website up. To spread the word about detox tea and so that I may save others the hassle I went through to find a tea that actually works.
If you’re new to the world of detoxing with tea, no worries!
On this page I aim to teach you all you need to know about detox teas and teatoxes, including what they are and how they work, the amazing benefits they can bring, side-effects to watch out for, important factors when choosing your tea and the best detox teas available (my absolute favorites).
So, without further ado, let’s get started!
What Is Detox Tea?
Just as the words imply, a tea detox have to do with using tea as a way to detoxify your body. A detox tea.
What’s especially great about tea detoxing is that you can simply add the regimen to your regular diet and lifestyle..
..as opposed to changing diet altogether which is often a necessity for other popular methods of detoxification.
This means you don’t have to put any additional stress of the body in the form of calorie restrictions or avoiding the foods you enjoy (this can still be a good thing though depending on what your goals are, but by no means a necessity).
You can also detox CONTINUOUSLY without it affecting your lifestyle too much. You can keep toxins at an all time low instead of doing it in intervals with taxing liquid diets and juice fasts.
And all you have to do is make drinking your herbal detox tea a daily habit.
It can also be used more specifically as a colon cleansing tea, a liver detox tea, kidney cleanse tea, etc.
Do Detox Teas Work?
In a word, YES. They most definitely do.
Else I wouldn’t have bothered to make this website in the first place.
There are many detox teas that don’t work very well though, so let me correct myself..
Detox teas work given you choose an effective brand.
Everyone is different however, and the only way to find out how well it works for you would be trying some for yourself!
Personally I’ve had great success from teatoxing and achieved many of its touted benefits (see below for a list), including weight loss.
What About A Tea Detox/Teatox Diet?
A tea detox diet is what you’d call a liquid detox diet where you only drink tea.
For most people this is not a good idea and may be both frustrating and dangerous.
It puts your body in starvation mode since tea contains pretty much zero calories.
Some people do a green tea detox since that’s what they have available at home, and try to only drink green tea, no calories.
If that’s your tea detox plan you’re in for a rough time and will potentially cause your body harm.
A teatox diet is much like a fast, and fasting for too long can put a lot of stress on your body.
So please, avoid this, since the way I see it the whole purpose of a tea detox is to detox without having to starve yourself or make other major changes.
That’s why we (I) love it so much!
Detox Tea Benefits
Detox tea comes with SO many benefits, which is one of the reasons I (and many others) love it so much.
The things that are enjoyable to eat and drink are too often bad for your health, but tea happens to be an exception to the rule!
Green, black or white tea are already great for you. The thing about detox teas though, is that they give you all the benefits of regular tea, AND the benefits of detoxification.
How’s that for a super food (drink)?
Here are some of the amazing benefits you can expect from a proper detox tea:
- Toxin Removal – perhaps the most obvious advantage over regular forms of tea, and a big one. With the amount of toxins we are exposed to daily in this century, from the air we breathe to the processed foods we ingest, anyone could benefit from detoxing.
- Weight Loss – yep, if you didn’t know it already, it can definitely help you lose weight. To achieve this, it works in many different ways at the same time, many of which are listed below.
- Appetite Suppressant – you’re less likely to indulge in snacks and what not when drinking detox tea, as it has the benefit of suppressing appetite, making you less hungry. This is, as you probably guessed already, great for losing weight!
- Increased Metabolism – another benefit that’s directly related to burning calories. A faster metabolism means you’ll be burning more calories even when resting. Who doesn’t want that? A fast metabolism also greatly improves the body’s natural detox mechanisms.
- Digestion Aid – although not unique to detox teas per say, improved digestion is still a much welcome benefit. Your body gets better at absorbing nutrients, meaning you need less food in total to meet the daily requirements of vitamins and minerals from food, which again aids in burning fat. The emptying of your colon is also sped up, which is a great way to make sure toxins leave your body before they get a chance to get reabsorbed into your blood stream.
- Immune System Boost – with the amounts of antioxidants you give your body when drinking tea regularly, you can be sure your immune system gets an inevitable boost.
- Improved Liver, Kidney and Colon Function – since these organs are responsible for much of your body’s toxic waste elimination, an effective detox tea will help your liver by reducing the total toxin load in your body.
- Allergy Relief – symptoms of allergies and hay fever can be greatly reduced through detoxing if you’re loaded with toxins.
- More Energy – a direct result of effective detox. When your body works more optimally, you will have more energy available at your disposal.
- Improved Skin – being the biggest organ you have, it only makes sense that a good detox will improve the health of your skin.
- Improved Mood & Sense Of Well-being – toxins take a toll on all your bodily processes. When your body isn’t working properly, it often affects your mood, emotions and sense of well-being negatively. When that’s the case a detox is often the best medicine!
- Clearer Thinking – too much toxins can impair your thinking and cause brain fog. In the end, your brain is just a susceptible as the rest of your body to excess toxin exposure.
- Anti-aging – many people both feel and look younger after getting a detox.
Keep in mind these are just a few of the touted benefits of detox tea. You may not experience every single one of these teatox benefits yourself, but probably most of them if you use a reliable detox tea such the one I always use.
Detox Tea Side Effects
Although side effects are generally non-existent when using detox teas, as with anything, they do exist. They are often very mild but can include an upset stomach and diarrhea, headaches, joint pain, skin rashes. As with any detox, you should not over-do it.
If curious, on webMD you can check out the general side-effects of detoxification here and those of green tea here.
But again, they are not that relevant because detox tea is known to be very safe as long as you follow the instructions. 20 cups per day may not be advised, but rather 2 to 4 (again, read the instructions on your detox tea package).
Best Detox Tea (for general teatoxing AND weight loss)
Here comes my favorite part, and perhaps the bit that will save you a lot of time and avoid getting scammed into purchasing an ineffective detox tea for your teatox.
So many that fall for false marketing from various questionable companies then write detox tea off as not working. All because the product they chose was of low quality..
But detox teas are no different from other types of foods and beverages in that you aren’t likely to find the best detox tea right away.
Myself, I was lucky to start off with a tea that at least had some effect. This motivated me to try other brands to see if that was it or if there was even more to gain. Had I not experienced any benefits from my first detox tea, my journey might have ended right there as well..
After my original success I went through maybe four or five different brands where only one of them gave me any tangible effects comparable to my first tea. Some of them still tasted alright so as ordinary teas they were alright I guess.
Then I got more sophisticated and researched teatox online on websites and forums to find what teas had worked for others. What brands the teatox communities considered the best teatox products.
And that’s how I eventually found the KouTea detox tea.
Others seemed to have impressive results with it so of course I had to give it a shot too..
And I can say it has worked by far the best for me personally out of all the detox teas I’ve gone through. And as a nice bonus I really like the taste too (for me, most important are the benefits and effects I experience, but taste matters a little too, since afterall you’ll be drinking the stuf every day).
I still try other teas every now and then if I hear good things about a certain brand, but always seem to return to KouTea.
At the moment I no longer need to lose any weight so I simply use it for maintenance to keep my metabolism active and toxins low. So even though I do enjoy exercising, I don’t really have to do it to keep my weight where I want it as long as I drink my KouTea.
And in the end that’s, as mentioned before, what makes tea detoxing so convenient. That you can continuously detox and keep toxins at an all time low and stay at a healthy weight, without it affecting your lifestyle much at all. As a daily add-on to your regular life and diet, instead of a replacement or change as most other detox methods call for.
Detox Tea/Teatox Reviews
As you know by now, my clear favorite among detox teas is the KouTea detox tea. But I also thought I’d briefly mention some of the other big brands in the industry that I’ve tested, in case you’re curious of how it compares or simply can’t order from KouTea for whatever reason (shipping location?).
But first, I’d like to just remind you of my opinion on:
14 day tea detox vs 28 day teatox
In the world of teatoxing, the 14-day teatox and the 28 day tea detox are the most common detox programs among first-timers and those that don’t detox continuously as I do.
As touched upon earlier, I personally, think a 14 day detox isn’t long enough for the majority of people to really get a taste of the benefits.
You’ll want to go with the 28 day teatox (1 month) as to not trick yourself in any way as to if it works for you or not, and therefore my reviews below are focused on 28 day detoxes.
But now, on to the brief teatox reviews:
Perhaps the most well-known brand among detox teas. For me personally, it is an alright tea. Not awesome, but not that bad either. The taste is just lovely.
I know however that many others dislike Fit Tea for what seems to be their somewhat scammy practices and customer service.
So, overall an okay tea but both less effective and more expensive than KouTea.
You can read my full Fit Tea review here.
A general tea brand, offering both regular herbal teas of all sorts as well as sommewhat specific detox teas.
It’s a nice company overall, but it’s not recommended as a detox tea. It doesn’t claim to have any weight-loss, clarity, energizing or other spectacular benefits simply because it isn’t meant to have. It’s a simple but affordable regular tea claiming to cleanse liver and kidneys.
You can read my Yogi detox tea review here.
Being stationed in the U.K, shipping becomes a bigger issue if you live in say the U.S. compared to the other detox teas mentioned. It takes longer, and it costs.
It’s comparable to many other detox teas I’ve tried, fine but nothing spectacular. It’s pretty expensive though.
Overall not the best value for your money. Here’s my more complete Bootea teatox review.
Not bad, but not great either. So-so, right in the middle sort of. Didn’t do a lot for me and I’ve seen some not so positive reviews as well, meanwhile as with any tea there are a few that swear by it.
Had okay effects.
So an okey tea, although the value just isn’t there compared to the alternatives. Check out the full Tiny Tea teatox review here.
What is your experience with detox teas and teatoxing? Leave it in the comments!
And don’t forget that sharing is caring ;).